Sam is a PhD student interested in policy interventions on complex systems under constraints. He brings expertise in network science, scientific computing, and modeling to a range of interdisciplinary projects from computational social science to agent-based contagion models.
Sam also is invested in scientific communication and outreach, serving as the Outreach Officer for the Society of Young Network Scientists (SYNS). In his free time, Sam is an avid podcast listener and enjoys board games and travel.
- 26th May 2022 Our paper, “Distinguishing In-Groups and Onlookers by Language Use", won best paper award at WASSA 2022. This was my second paper with the Reddit Bandits team formed at CNWW 2020, and it's one of the most rewarding teams I have ever been a part of
- 21st April 2022 Presented at the UVM Student Research Conference: "The OCEAN Mailing List Dataset: Network Analysis Spanning Mailing Lists and Code Repositories"
- 2nd April 2022 The @official_SYNS Twitter account I run surpassed 4000 followers. I hope we can help unite the young researchers in this field across the globe as one community.
- 10th March 2022 Accepted to Sunbelt 2022 for our work on expertise and toxicity in the Cpython community. Australia here I come!
- [Accepted] Minot, J., Trujillo, M. Z., Rosenblatt, S. F., de Anda Jáuregui, G., Moog, E., Samson, B. P. V., Hébert-Dufresne, L., & Roth, A. M. (2022, May). Distinguishing In-Groups and Onlookers by Language Use. In Proceedings of the 12th Workshop on Computational Approaches to Subjectivity, Sentiment and Social Media Analysis.
- [Accepted] Warrick, M., Rosenblatt, S. F., Young, J. G., Casari, A., Hébert-Dufresne, L., & Bagrow, J. P. (2022, May).The OCEAN mailing list data set: Network analysis spanning mailing lists and code repositories. In 2022 IEEE/ACM 19th International Conference on Mining Software Repositories (MSR) IEEE.
- Trujillo, M., Rosenblatt, S., de Anda Jáuregui, G., Moog, E., Samson, B. P. V., Hébert-Dufresne, L., & Roth, A. M. (2021, August). When the Echo Chamber Shatters: Examining the Use of Community-Specific Language Post-Subreddit Ban. In Proceedings of the 5th Workshop on Online Abuse and Harms (WOAH 2021) (pp. 164-178).