Sam is a PhD student interested in policy interventions on complex systems under constraints. He brings expertise in network science, scientific computing, and modeling to a range of interdisciplinary projects from computational social science to agent-based contagion models.
Sam also is invested in scientific communication and outreach, serving as the Outreach Officer for the Society of Young Network Scientists (SYNS). In his free time, Sam is an avid podcast listener and enjoys board games and travel.
- 5th October 2023 New preprint hot off the press! "Paradoxes in the co-evolution of contagions and institutions" I'm beginning to get the hang of publication pacing. I think its important to be consistently working on something where you'll be 1st author as well as a few middle author papers on the side.
- 29th August 2023 Third time visiting Brown for the ongoing project with MAPPS! Incredibly productive whirlwind of a visit. This is what science is about.
- 17th July 2023 IC2S2 in Copenhagen! This was the first time I had ever been to a conference where I wasn't presenting and boy was it a different experience! It was nice to listen more and talk less after the previous week at NetSci.
- 13th July 2023 My 4th time presenting at NetSci and 2nd time in Vienna! This time I talked about "Mixed bubbles: Maximizing epidemics with geographic and categorical assortativities in modular geometric graphs"
- 5th June 2023 Possibly the most unique visit of my scientific career: World Pork Expo in Des Moines, Iowa. I learned a ton for our model of the swine production system in the U.S. and met with folks to establish some data sharing agreements. I also had some job offers. Not a career path I had considered till recently but I am giving it some serious thought. The barbeque at the expo was amazing.
- 20th May 2023 Paper from my project collaborating with the Brookings Institution is published! "TRACE-Omicron: Policy Counterfactuals to Inform Mitigation of COVID-19 Spread in the United States."
- 17th January 2023 Attended 3-day workshop at Brown University's Institute for Computational and Experimental Research in Mathematics, https://icerm.brown.edu/topical_workshops/tw-23-pep/
- 1st November 2022 Gave an informal crash course in livestock biosecurity modeling for UVM's weekly Student Complexity Research and Pizza Seminar (SCRaPS)
- 14th October 2022 Gave a short talk about the Society of Young Network Scientists (SYNS) at Complex Systems Society 2022 conference warm-up panel, LINKS, hosted by the Young Researchers of the Complex Systems Society (yrCSS), titled: "Networking about networks over (internet) networks". Boy, that's alot of acronyms and anachronisms.
- 13th October 2022 Presented preliminary research at the advisory board meeting for my main project this year, "Predicting Livestock Disease Transmission Dynamics under Alternate Biosecurity Risk Management Interventions and Behavioral Responses of Livestock Producers." Our presentation was titled, "Swine production as directed, hierarchical, modular networks". I met alot of interesting and inspiring researchers at this meeting! Based on my experience in this project so far I think I might pursue a career in livestock disease modelling.
- 13th July 2022 Presented talk at Sunbelt 2022 in Cairns, Australia, “Open is not always welcoming: Examining how toxic interpersonal signals impact and reflect collaboration and prestige in the opensource Python language development community"
- 26th May 2022 Our paper, “Distinguishing In-Groups and Onlookers by Language Use", won best paper award at WASSA 2022. This was my second paper with the Reddit Bandits team formed at CNWW 2020, and it's one of the most rewarding teams I have ever been a part of
- 18th May 2022 Presented at the ACM 2022 Mining Software Repositories Conference: "The OCEAN Mailing List Dataset: Network Analysis Spanning Mailing Lists and Code Repositories"
- 21st April 2022 Presented at the UVM Student Research Conference: "The OCEAN Mailing List Dataset: Network Analysis Spanning Mailing Lists and Code Repositories." Good practice for the MSR conference in May!
- 2nd April 2022 The @official_SYNS Twitter account I run surpassed 4000 followers. I hope we can help unite the young researchers in this field across the globe as one community.
- 10th March 2022 Accepted to Sunbelt 2022 for our work on expertise and toxicity in the Cpython community. Australia here I come!
- S. F. Rosenblatt, O'Gara, D. Hébert‐Dufresne, L., Purcell, R., Kasman, M., & Hammond, R. A. (2023). TRACE-Omicron: Policy Counterfactuals to Inform Mitigation of COVID-19 Spread in the United States. Advanced Theory and Simulations, 2300147.
- S. F. Rosenblatt, S. F., Smith, J. A., Gauthier, G. R., & Hébert-Dufresne, L. (2020). Immunization strategies in networks with missing data. PLoS computational biology, 16(7), e1007897.
- Minot, J., Trujillo, M. Z., Rosenblatt, S. F., de Anda Jáuregui, G., Moog, E., Samson, B. P. V., Hébert-Dufresne, L., & Roth, A. M. (2022, May). Distinguishing In-Groups and Onlookers by Language Use. In Proceedings of the 12th Workshop on Computational Approaches to Subjectivity, Sentiment and Social Media Analysis.
- Warrick, M., Rosenblatt, S. F., Young, J. G., Casari, A., Hébert-Dufresne, L., & Bagrow, J. P. (2022, May).The OCEAN mailing list data set: Network analysis spanning mailing lists and code repositories. In 2022 IEEE/ACM 19th International Conference on Mining Software Repositories (MSR) IEEE.
- Trujillo, M., Rosenblatt, S., de Anda Jáuregui, G., Moog, E., Samson, B. P. V., Hébert-Dufresne, L., & Roth, A. M. (2021, August). When the Echo Chamber Shatters: Examining the Use of Community-Specific Language Post-Subreddit Ban. In Proceedings of the 5th Workshop on Online Abuse and Harms (WOAH 2021) (pp. 164-178).